Boston Conservatory at Berklee invites applications for the position of Chair of the Voice Department. Reporting to the Dean of Music, the Chair of Voice serves as the academic and administrative leader of the Department. The chair oversees all vocal activities from individual applied lessons (for both the music division and the theater division) to classroom teaching and ensemble work in opera and chorus. The Chair is part of the academic leadership team charged with oversight of curriculum, pedagogy, management of faculty and students, communication, and the implementation of strategic initiatives for the institution.
The ideal candidate for this position will be an outstanding musician with performance experience at a high level, and an experienced educator and effective administrator with a background of successful employment in a collegiate setting. Thorough knowledge of vocal, choral, and operatic repertoire and national recognition as a musician are essential. A Master's degree or equivalent professional experience is required.
Situated within the Music Division, the Voice Department at Boston Conservatory includes programs in voice performance, choral studies, opera, and vocal pedagogy. The department comprises 24 full-time and 28 part-time faculty, providing instruction to over 400 Boston Conservatory at Berklee students.
Boston Conservatory at Berklee is committed to increasing the diversity of the conservatory community and the curriculum. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area. This is a 12-month administrative position with a renewable contract. Compensation is commensurate with experience.
- Lead voice-area curriculum development, review, and management
- Develop and communicate departmental policies, procedures and standards
- Hire, evaluate, and oversee departmental faculty and staff, including determining teaching responsibilities and service to the institution
- Facilitate departmental meetings
- Advise Students
- Manage semesterly jury process for all students in the department
- Oversee hiring of guests and soloists
- Facilitate and assist with recruitment and orientation activities such as admissions yield events
- Teaching as appropriate, determined through consultation with the division dean
- Foster artistic and academic partnerships with other departments within the institution
- Represent the department and division as an administrative leader on- and off-campus
- Serve on the Academic Leadership Council, division committees, and other conservatory committees as needed
- Maintain professional engagement
- Other duties as required by the division dean and vice president for academic affairs
- Record as an effective administrator with a background of successful employment in a collegiate setting
- Prominent professional experience as an active performer and teacher
- Experience in curriculum development
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Command of technology to support classroom and studio instruction
- Keen interest in working within a diverse environment, both with faculty and administrative colleagues and students
The start date for the position is August 1, 2022 or earlier depending upon availability.
Electronic applications only. Please submit the following application materials in PDF or Word format at berklee.edu/jobs. All materials should be uploaded as one document to the Resume/Cover letter application section. Address your materials to: Chair of Voice Search Committee, Attn: Michael Shinn, Dean, Music Division.
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- A statement of your teaching philosophy
- Phone and email contact information for three (3) professional references
- Links to websites or online resources with representative samples of your performances
APPLICATION REVIEW andDEADLINE
1) For full consideration, applications and supporting materials must be received by December 15, 2021.
2) Incomplete applications will not be considered.
3) The position will remain open for applications until filled.
Berklee is committed to increasing the diversity of the college community and the curriculum. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area.
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency